Saturday 28 January 2023

Another M & S price increase:(

We buy their tins of stewing steak and chicken. At the start of last year, they were £2.75 a can, then just before Christmas, they rose to £4 after several small increments throughout the year.

This week, the steak had risen to £4.50, no doubt, the chicken will follow. My question to myself is how much will be too much before I consider whether to carry on buying them.

I cannot state enough just how lovely and tender the meat is and the flavour excellent. At the moment, they are on a par with buying fresh meat but without the faff or expense of cooking it.

The cost of manufacturing the cans is obviously at play here but even if that eventually came down, I doubt they would do the same.

It is such a shame as canned goods (and packets) are what most of us put in the food pantry containers in the shops. Let's hope it doesn't get to the point where it just gets too expensive, who will help feed the people then? Certainly not any governments. They have made it clear we are on our own.

14 comments:

  1. I never thought of it that way. So sad.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is as they are already struggling for donations.

      Delete
  2. I think for things we love we just have to grit our teeth and continue buying them (if we can afford to) but eek them out further ... something that you are brilliant at. I can see us all going back to WW2 wartime rationing type meals before we know it.

    Now might be a good time to see if you can properly publish your Wartime Diaries, they would be snapped up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the tins of stewing steak are lovely. Tinned corned beef has gone up a lot as well, husband takes it for his packed lunch at work - maybe we'll have to change to a cheaper sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prices have gone up in USA. I'm getting items needed for us in aluminum cans which are diet soda for my husband and chicken we get at Costco warehouse. It may get less available in April but will see if that's true. Milk is close to 4 dollars plus. I buy items that I use when on sale.
    We all need to be careful how much we spend as there's bills to pay as well. Have a good day 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s getting silly now but from what I can gather, going to get worse. I intend to keep stocking up.

      Delete
  5. I think I will continue purchasing things I enjoy eating until I figure they are way beyond what I am willing to pay.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I shall add things to it to extend it.

      Delete
  6. Hi, never commented before. Just wondered if Ocado, they stock M & S products, delivered to your area as they have 25% off 1st shop plus 3 months of free delivery. Stock up on stewing steak and chicken may be? We took up the offer some months ago. I am in Ipswich, Suffolk. Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vonnie. Thanks for comment and info. We are very well stocked up on it. We shop mostly at Lidl and gave up home delivery years ago. We do everything in all shops, one hour usually, once a week.

      Delete
  7. Oh, no. The last time I bought some (in small-bulk), they were around £3.25, I think. I guess I will have to employ the slow cooked and make my own but it won't taste the same.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I made some yesterday, nowhere near the same. Steak & kidney and chicken were still £4, unless the wrong price was on the shelf for the steak.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.