Thursday 12 January 2023

Raised bed protection

This is the second year of doing my autumn/winter composting directly into the soil. Last year, other than a few carrots and parsnips trying to regrow, plus many potatoes, it composted very well.

Both new beds created last year, have had deep trenches dug into them. A two inch layer of leaves deposited in the bottom, before being topped with kitchen waste about three inches deep. It was then covered over with soil.

Once the final trench was filled in, it was raked and covered with bubble wrap, a new thing for me as I usually just use weed membrane fabric. This will be lifted and the soil inspected for any problems before being lifted off early spring. A tarp or some such cover would work well on larger areas. Seeds are then sown directly into the top layer of soil and if there are any compost remains, their roots will find and feed off them.

I don't have many earth worms in my two new beds but they will come as the base of each, is sitting on earth.

Once I need to sow seeds, the soil should be a bit warmer under it. Once the seedlings emerge, the top nets will go on and the bubble wrap laid on top of that to give them room to grow plus extra warmth.


6 comments:

  1. You should get some amazing crops after all that hard work. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully so as one of the new beds didn’t perform particularly well.

      Delete
  2. I did find in the past that garden and food waste put directly onto the soil along with all things compostable worked really well. I didn't have much luck using bubble wrap though as a soil cover/warmer though as it shredded itself and started leeching little plastic bits into my soil which I wasn't keen on at all. I reverted to using some old carpets upside down instead. Maybe mine was old stuff I can't remember but it wasn't good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all I had so might look for something else.

      Delete
  3. I did the same during our winter here a couple of years ago, but haven't in awhile and you can certainly tell.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised you need something with your cold weather.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.