Monday 29 February 2016

Still in the kitchen...

I love being in the kitchen pootling about, although not all day. Those kind of days just tire me out!

Yesterday, I opened a jar of Lidl cherries in light syrup. They were strained through a sieve to catch all the juice, each was was gently felt to check for stones (found one), before being put into a dish:
We tasted the syrup, it was still a little sour for us so added some extra sweetness. It was then heated and cornflour added to set it. The cherries had an oat crumble put on top of them before baking the crumble for 35 minutes. It was just done when we removed it. This crumble mix doesn't brown too quickly so it can be overcooked if not careful. You can see the results below.
We had half the crumble between us with custard, after cheese and crackers for tea. The rest will be eaten tonight and the 'jelly' for two lunch times after some soup!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea, its always useful to know how someone utilises something. I've been using oats more and more instead of flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love oats, so versatile, even our gf bread is almost 50% oats.

      Delete
  2. Made this myself a couple of weeks ago but when I went to replace the bottle of cherries from Lidl's, the bottle looks much the same but they're now labelled as sour cherries, so I shall have to add a little sweetening to them. With the ordinary ones (i.e. not labelled as sour) I don't any any sugar, I find the crumble topping, to which I add a dessertspoon of sugar make the dessert sweet enough. Lovely with ice cream or hot custard, isn't it?
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were the sour ones. They were fine with sugar in the crumble and extra in the juice. It tasted like a cross between blancmange and jelly!

      Delete
  3. Ooo'er your post made my mouth water. I adore cherries and both of your deserts look lovely-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been using frozen cherries recently as they are so much cheaper than fresh, I never thought to use a jar xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget about frozen cherries.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.