Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Fruit cage tidying finished

In the end, it took a total of 5 bags of wood chips to cover all the bare soil in the cage. It was weeded,  had manure and/or compost and blood, fish and bone meal applied, raked again, slightly flattened then wood chips applied. Mind you, come a few weeks time, it will be growing that dreadful mare's tail - we don't worry too much as it is near impossible to get rid off and believe me, we have tried!

It looks so much neater:
The two trug's sunk into the ground hold our Autumn raspberries - it helps to stop them running everywhere and can be pulled out of the ground to completely revamp if necessary.
Think the parrot upside down needs sorting out!

In the cage we have 2 Blueberries, 2 Gooseberries, 2 tubs Autumn Raspberries, 1 Rhubarb, 1 Blackberry, 1 Loganberry and a Blackcurrant!

4 comments:

  1. I bought a gooseberry a few weeks back it sprouting nicely. I'm glad you're posting about the fruit cage preparation because I haven't a clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our soil is a bit too alkaline for most of our fruit especially the blueberries hence a mulch of wood chips. RHS is a good site for info although I found out extra things from An American soft fruit site. Last year I dug in iron filings around the Blueberries to help them further!

      Delete
  2. That is wonderful! So neat and tidy, now I have to go and sort out my fruit cage! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but it will soon look scruffy with the dratted mare's tail:(

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.