Sunday 27 November 2016

Smoothies for breakfast - possible advertisement?

I have for the past week, been having a smoothie for breakfast simply because I was getting fed up with every breakfast being carbohydrate heavy, usually followed by some carbohydrate for lunch:( Thanks for the tip D.

Unfortunately, my blender/liquidizer was not the most powerful and kept leaving chunks of items behind, so we decided to invest in a Nu---bul--t. What a difference! We had a good read first on all the recommended blenders and decided this one was best despite it having one or two negative comments.

There is no way I am using the amount of fruit in the recipes as they would be too calorific. On average I use 1/2 to 1 piece of fruit/fruits, 1 to 2 pieces of dried fruit, seeds, a few nuts and milk. Linseed and Chia seed and occasionally oat bran are also added.

Although it is meant to be drunk out of the blender mug, sometimes I pour it into a bowl so I feel like I am actually eating breakfast. The texture of these trial blends are like yoghurt.

Today we went into town and bought clementines, a cucumber, tomatoes, some oranges, a melon, fresh ginger. Tomorrow during our weekly shop, we shall add spinach, fennel if possible, fresh turmeric and fresh mint. I have also tried 1/2 a yellow pepper with banana, odd but fine in taste. We have carrots and beetroot in the garden so shall start adding a little more vegetables into the mix but not use milk when we do so. Neither of us fancies too much greenery in the blend, certainly not DB so that side of things will be an experiment.

For lunch we whizzed up some butter bean hummous although didn't want to add too much liquid to this so pulsed it instead, removed the lid occasionally, scraped down the sides and pulsed again - very nice.

Watch this space!


5 comments:

  1. My Nutribullet is one of the most used gadgets in the kitchen. I always add a bit of spinach (well a lot in my case I love the stuff) to any smoothies I make. It doesn't make them taste overly vegetably, Kale does though!!

    I also use mine with the grinding blade for turning ordinary sugar into caster or icing sugar when I'm baking, it saves having a lot of bags of sugar in the cupboards and whizzes up in seconds.

    You'll have lots of fun with your new toy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see me using carrots, fennel, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, spinach, maybe salad leaves but not sure about much else on the veg line - time will tell!

      Delete
  2. I love my nutribullet and use it every day to be honest though it's mainly for greens. I did a post a while back on my main green smoothie recipe. I use minimal fruits because of the sugar content. Have fun with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Wendy although there is no way I will be using kale. I have picked up a small packet of mixed salad greens to try with some carrot and orange and will see how that goes!

      Delete
  3. I love mine too. I am not good at eating yoghurt and bananas make me a bit quesy when I eat them. Whizz them up in the bullet with whatever other fruit is handy and I am happy to scoff it down.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.