Last Monday, I baked a recipe from Rhonda's blog, Almond and apricot cake (with built in custard). It is lovely but in the humid stormy weather we had then, it was completely covered in white hairy mould by Thursday. We had to throw the last half of it away.
I hate waste so this time I fiddled with the recipe to make muffins.
Having made the custard element, I stirred enough stewed rhubarb into it to loosen it very slightly. I stopped once it had a nice rhubarb flavour.
I made up a basic Victoria sandwich cake mix, using two eggs and their equivalent weight in everything else. One good tablespoon of sponge mixture was put into the bottom of muffin cases, a good heaped teaspoon of rhubarb custard was put on top:
They tastle lovely and the sprinkles on the top gave them a crunch texture. They were soft the next day but who cares.