Friday 11 December 2020

Food for Ruby

All human food - minced beef, minced turkey, minced heart, packet of offal, minced vegetables, eggs, egg shells, tin pilchards, linseed and chia seed: 

Non human grade food 4 tubes minced carcasses, and I realised after taking this that green tripe was missing. 

Topped off with 1 1/2 cups of whole rolled oats in each bowl. Ready to mix together, a beef bowl and a turkey and pichard bowl:

Measured in 350g containers, one per day:

A bit left over to give her onver 3 small lunches. I didn't price this up but it will be around £1 to £1:20p per bowl (one bowl each day). That is cheaper than generally buying it in and it also has more additions (to the correct amount) than you generally get in bought food.

Vegetables vary between cabbage, brocolli, carrots, pumpkin, peppers plus fruit such as apples, pears or summer fruits when in season. The linseed and chia seed (along with the tripe and eggshells) are to balance out her phosphorus and calcium needs, vitamins, mineral, omega 3 and 6 etc.

Each day she is given brewer's yeast which adds more things as well as working very well as a tick repellent, and a special mix to heal keep her teeth clean.







14 comments:

  1. Ruby is very lucky having human parents like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the exception of the green tripe, she eats as well as us we reckon. Bertie doesn’t do too badly by the sound of things. Have you tried green tripe? Stinks but they generally love it and is a perfect balance of calcium and phosphorus.

      Delete
    2. I remember having to go to the shop as a child to pick up tripe for my dad. But that had been cleaned and was white. Then he would cook it with onions. I will see if he likes it. he loves tuna as a change so I must get some Pilchards.

      Delete
    3. I once worked in an office with an elderly woman in another office, cooking tripe, boy it stank. Green tripe 400g packets can be bought from Pets at Home, maybe Jolleyes. You will need a dedicated sealed container and give some mixed in. Once adjusted they can have it on their own but doing that gives Ruby soft stools!

      Delete
  2. Whereas Suky get 35g James Wellbeloved Light Turkey or Lamb flavoured mix twice a day. I won't tell her about Ruby's diet in case she packs her bags and leaves home ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby always wants more than she’s allowed. She would be huge if we gave her the recommended amount of about 425g!

      Delete
  3. She's just about the best fed dog I have ever heard of. What a lucky lady!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most raw fed dogs just get meat and some bone. They need a more rounded diet than that. Price wise, it’s cheaper for me to make than buy this quality.

      Delete
  4. Pet food must be very expensive there. Yours looks much more healthy than any canned food I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t think so. Canned is probably the cheapest, then dry kibble. Quality varies though from absolute bare minimum grade to top quality. Same with raw food. Raw food is generally more expensive but you need less of it as it has no fillers. I just make hers to know what is in it.

      Delete
  5. i wonder if you could steer me towards any information on home made dog food? Your dog food seems very well balanced and I am looking to make food for my German Shepherd / husky dog who is very clear about her opinion of commercial dog food . I am not sure of protocol on contact through blogs so please forgive me if I am intruding. Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Su, would you be looking at a home cooked diet or raw? I will answer you on newer posts each time so we don’t have to keep coming back here if that’s ok?

      Delete
  6. Thanks I was thinking of cooked as she is quite fussy over raw meat, but what ever is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you have read my post on this.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.