Wednesday 30 January 2013

Chicken and vegetable cobbler

For tea last night, we had the first chicken and vegetable cobbler as mentioned on a previous post.


The sauce was a little thin so was thickened more, but it tasted lovely. As I had divided the base amount into two metal dishes (each around 9” long at the top) I made 1 1/2 times the cobbler recipes. 
 
6 circles of scone mix were use to top one of the dishes.



The left over amount was laid on top of baking parchment so they would soak up the base mix whilst in the freezer.

What would I change? Well, we found the cobbler topping too much. As the base is quite nice I might leave it as it was (before I thickened it more) and use one half to make a lasagne. The second bit I would top with mashed potatoes or mashed potatoes and vegetables.
 
Anyway, here it is served up, certainly filled us up! I do apologise for the strange look of my posts. There aren't large gaps everywhere when I'm writing.



 

8 comments:

  1. It really does look delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully you are feeling a bit better now?

      Delete
  2. I should imagine that was extremely filling!!

    I usually make my scone toppings tiny compared to 'normal' scones and leave gaps inbetween for the juices to bubble up.

    I was going to do a Mince Cobbler for tea tonight, but someone has taken my mince base to work with him !! See todays Blog post for details :-)

    Oh well I suppose leftovers are leftovers and as long as they are eaten by someone!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not normally keen on savoury cobbler but this was nice. No reason why it couldn't also be served over pasta or rice, certainly quite cheap to make.

      Delete
  3. I find a thick crust on top to be more than I like, too. My favorite crust to pour on top is rather thin and spreads out. Basically a mixture of flour, salt, baking powder, black pepper, melted butter and a bit of milk to thin to desired consistency.

    The cobbler looks great. Chicken and veggie dishes are my idea of winter comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will most certainly try a different topping or different way of using the sauce which was very nice.

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious - a really good Winter warmer. Like Sue I usually use my small cutter to make the scone topping.Dumplings would be nice with it if you left it with the thinner consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the 2" cutter and it still boiled out. Dumplings sounds nice.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.