Wednesday 9 January 2013

Take 4 chipolata's...

Using my knowledge from when we were on our war time way of eating, I managed to make two meals for us from 4 chipolata's.

I made up some yorkshire pudding batter . The two of the chipolata's, were cut into third's and placed in a little oil in six deep muffin tins. They were roasted in the oven (at 200C) for 10 minutes then had the batter poured over them.

Normally my yorkshire puddings rise very well but on this occasion they didn't but were still enjoyable. It may not seem like much and normally there would be more vegetables with them, but we had just come back from a friends house after having tea and cake! We had 3 each with peas and onion gravy, finishing off with a lemon cake later in the evening.


The other 2 chipolata's were skinned, rolled into 3 balls and gently fried with onions and peppers. The final few ladles of soup were added (from the previous batch), plus some grated cheese. It was served with pasta.


Bet you didn't think 4 chipolata's would feed two people for two meals!

13 comments:

  1. I love soggy Yorkshire Puds. My mission is to find a really good vegan recipe for them. In answer to your question yesterday, the cooker I was talking about is on the yacht and no it can't be fixed. But I do have a lovely great big range cooker on the barge that, hopefully, will be Pete's next job, to get it going. He is craving a real roast dinner, so that should give him some motivation!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll both enjoy and nice roast dinner cooked on that, once it is installed.

      Delete
  2. I think your YPs have risen fine [my current fan oven is hopeless at YPs]
    And you are right - after tea and cake with friends, you don't need such a big meal.

    I lOVE discovering things to do with that one cup of leftover soup - planning on making butternut squash soup this weekend cooking the peel into crisps, and then using leftover for a risotto. This was an idea from Nigel slater the other week.

    blessings x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to simply throw it away but over time, I have learnt how invaluable such small amounts can be.

      Delete
  3. That is very admirable food stretching. I love toad in the whole so the top meal looks very very appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it as well. I was brought up to eat Yorkshire pudding with golden syrup as a pudding. That is lovely.

      Delete
  4. Amazing ! We also eat less in the evening if we have been out eating somewhere during the day - attention to that sort of thing helps keep within budget. Now, what am I going to do with 3oz of cheese, must be some meals I can make......................:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stretching.

    I had two pounds of sausage that I've stretched into 3 meals (one for 5 people, two for 3 people) and have 1/3 of it left to go into something else.

    The first went on pizzas. The next two meals were a stew and a soup. I'm not sure what I'll do with the last third. Perhaps a breakfast casserole or sausage and cheese muffins to stretch it even further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it hasn't previously been frozen, you could freeze it. OR make some sausage meatballs and serve them with pasta - sausages in bread rolls, or cold cooked sausage is also nice.

      Delete
  6. 2 delicious, frugal filling meals. Its amazing how far food can be stretched with a bit of imagination. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I think that is as far as I can stretch two chipolata's but maybe someone, somewhere knows how to stretch it more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to come by and take a look after your comment on my Blog today!!

    Well done that is impressive chipolata stretching :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.