Saturday 19 January 2013

Cooking and spending!

Welcome to my new follower Kittykittyweaselfish!

As the house was a little on the cool side, thought I'd spend the morning in the kitchen, cooking to keep warm. I prepared another batch of soup which I'll discuss tomorrow. The next thing was a beef goulash, started on the top of the cooker before going in the oven on a low heat for 3-4 hours (yes, know I should have used the slow cooker but there wasn't enough to go in it as it is an old fashioned quite large one).

Anyhow, once the goulash was under way, 


I then prepared a blackcurrant (from the garden) and eating apple crumble to put in the oven once the goulash came out.


Both are now going cold, as is the soup, imparting their flavours before being warmed again tomorrow.

For tea, I am going to make the Feta and Spinach Pie as mentioned on Frugal Queen's blog a couple of days ago. The puff pastry had to go in the airing cupboard for a couple of hours to thaw as it hadn't remotely thawed after 4 hours sitting in the kitchen! Strange.

DB has just come back from the dentist after having a filling - more expense! His tooth broke in half eating something, then over the next couple of days, his filling dropped out so we weren't sure sure if there will be anything left for the dentist to fill. Ah well. Tea will be late tonight as we have to wait for him to thaw out after his injection.

11 comments:

  1. Your food sounds so delicious. My taste buds are non existent at the moment so anything spicy just about does the trick. I wish I was up to doing anything in the kitchen though, its Tony's domain just until I feel up to tackling it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spicy is certainly the way to go just so you can taste something. Awful isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goulash is one of my favourite winter warmers, I sometimes put a tin of red beans in to stretch it a bit. Love crumble too, I have the makings of one for tomorrow for after the roast if I ever get to the freezer and take something out. Its bitter cold today and I keep putting off going to the garage!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like it as well but don't make it often as we don't eat much meat. Enjoyed some cool crumble with evaporated milk.

      Delete
  4. That goulash looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tasted it yet, am waiting until Sunday evening so the flavours can blend.

      Delete
  5. I take out the beef and add mushrooms or 'fake' beef in goulash, lovely when it is so cold. You could have been really mean and served up tea to hubby and watched him dribble it down his chin!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore mushroom goulash, will always have it when out if its on the menu. Some are better than others.

      Delete
  6. Everything looks great. I'm envious of your snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and don't be. Snow is lovely until it thaws and re-freezes. Then it is deadly. We have to walk on the roads as the pavements are like a skating ring.

      Delete
  7. I love crumble, yum :) And the goulash looks delicious, that is the perfect meal on a cold winter day.
    Your snow photos are very pretty.
    Have a lovely Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.