Thursday 3 October 2019

How utterly disappointing....

The High Court has ruled against the WASPI (Women Against State Pension Inequality) action. It is bad enough having to wait an extra 6 years to receive my state pension (and associated free bus travel) but I also have to contribute an extra 5 years worth of stamp payments (about £800 per year) in order to receive the full pension when I do get it.

I previously had the full 30 years of stamps paid, it has since been raised to 35 years. DB didn't have to pay any stamp contributions from 60 to 65!!!

That means not only have I missed out on state pension for 6 years (averaging £135 per week), I also have to give up £4,500 of my savings to get myself the full pension!

An absolute disgrace.

I bet all the fat cat lawyers and judges making that decision have squirreled away a huge amount towards their pensions already due to their enormous salaries. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I have worked all my life apart for 4 years when DS was little. Those contributions were paid for on my behalf by the government as that is what happens here in the UK. I worked happily paying my stamp and other taxes, in the firm belief I would be paid my pension at 60.

13 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Only the Government could welsh on a contract and get away with it. Like you I’ve got to wait 6 years. It would have been fairer to have staggered the dates for those of us close to the cut off point who had the least time to make other arrangements. Were the judges that made the decision male???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appeals will be made but it will make no difference.

      Delete
  2. That is surprising and not happy news for you. The state retirement plan I have in California treats men and women the same which seems a better way to do things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I misread, is the new retirement age for both men and women? Either way it is a shock to have retirement plans shaken up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is to bring women in line with men.

      Delete
  4. This is disgraceful...I'm sorry on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I've understood it properly [and who knows?] this action was brought by the BackTo60 group. The WASPI proposal is slightly different, so I'm hoping they may get somewhere. I was born in 1955, and have 3 different official letters, saying I will get my state pension at 60 then 65 then 66. I too am using my savings to top up my pension. Providing I survive to 70, it will be worth it. That is assuming they do not move the goalposts again. And - what is utterly evil IMHO - is that even if Boris gets kicked out of Number 10 tomorrow, he will still get a HUGE pension every year for the rest of his life because he was PM.[lump sum, plus about £100,000 p.a.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have received a tiny, teeny pension from a school I worked in, at 55. That was put back to 65 without any warning.

      Delete
  6. I won't get mine until I'm 67 and always joke to my mum that there probably won't be any money in the coffers by then (I'm 55 now) but I'm starting to think it might be a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The whole thing is a con. I have 43 years of contributions but still won't receive a full state pension because when I was a Civil Servant the govt sneakily paid a reduced contribution!!! BECAUSE I HAD A GOVT PENSION but that was my wages paying for that. I now make it up with grandparents credits. I'll be £2 a week short. It's just disgusting the way we have been treated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only just found out the same applied to me for the two years I worked in a school. Good job I left then!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.