Saturday 17 August 2019

A new hobby....

I think I have been a little below par in myself for the past year or so and couldn't be bothered with much at all. Now I feel better and willing to tackle something new. My DDiL said I should look around for something to do, look into it and if its for me, to just go for it. She and I are very creative people and she is learning not only a craft but a trade, and has a very natural aptitude for her chosen subject.

I wanted, no needed, to be creative again. I gave 4 years of my life to a pre-degree and a Fine Art degree course between 2006 - 2010. I know I don't want to do anything that intensive again, nor join any clubs or do small home study courses. That side of me has been fulfilled!

So, looking at what was out there and hoping I wouldn't go too mad with what I chose, I have decided to have a go at stamping. I have researched each bit of it, watched oodles of videos (some great others not so). I have set up a tab above called Cardmaking to plot my progress.

There was enough money in my bank account, which I rarely spend, so I got ordering. Things are slowly getting delivered, its like every day is Christmas at the moment!

Here is my working area, tucked into a large alcove in the spare bedroom. Easy to put away if necessary when we have visitors:
Some things have been bought, others we already had, some from my degree course. The little light is temporary until I find something else (we have other things in the attic but I will need a daylight bulb).

The table would have been better in front of the patio door window but I don't want to keep moving it so here it will stay. Time will tell.


I don't know enough people to create lots of cards for, but will use cards to practise with. From there, I hope to use my learnt skills as a springboard into other things. Watch this space:)

10 comments:

  1. I've never done stamping but it sounds very interesting and I look forward to seeing what you make. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another card making craft that I've tried and found too fiddly to do. My stampers, embossing stuff and heat thing went off to the car boot sale just last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a shame, it does look fiddly but I like that.

      Delete
  3. Stamping is something I need to work on with my cardmaking - I'm either too heavy-handed, resulting in smudging, or too worried about being heavy-handed and doing it so lightly it's barely visible! More practise, lots more, I think. Enjoy your new hobby, and if you have any pointers, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I invested in a stamp positioning tool. It allows you to re-ink the stamp and keep going over your stamped image, without having to reposition the stamp.

      Delete
  4. Me too I've tried it and didn't like it. Prefer my Boys got embossed etc. Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I read your blog but don't think I've commented much or maybe at all. I'm trying to do better at that! I love stamping and have loads of stamps. May I recommned Lindsay the Frugal Crafter You Tube videos to you. She does painting, drawing, stamping, jewellery making etc and she has her You Tube channel set up in categories so its easy to find her stamping ones. She's very good and a great inspiration for good ideas. I hope you enjoy your new hobby. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have found her recently. I made my own stamp cleaning pad, not the same as hers though. Also found a recipe for home made stamp cleaner, seems to work well.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.