Thursday 10 September 2020

Food Shortages in the future?

Cath over in Australia on here discusses such a situation. Whilst things may be different in Australia, Covid-19 worldwide and certainly in this country, has seen unpresedented shortages. 

Whilst the top half of said post discusses things particularly relevant to Australia, certainly the rest of it would apply to us. They and us are having farm food shortages due to lack of pickers from countries not being allowed into other countries to pick the seasonal food. Much is simply being ploughed back in. That will have an effect later down the line.

Come the end of the year, whether or not Covid-19 and flu raise their ugly heads, the final part of Brexit looms. If you think it won't affect you think again.

Food prices have gradually been rising in this country since the end of last year. They have been rising faster this year. People who were borderline struggling, living pay day to pay day, are really struggling now. Food banks have seen unprecedented demands. Many new help groups have been set up to help those who are new to this scenario or longer term and struggling even more. If you are able to donate to food banks please do so. One day it might just be you.

If you can, start to think, but more importantly, act on the coming situation because it is coming.

I started our Brexit box two years ago when we should have left the EU. I slowly doubled it to two boxes, then filled box three from January when I realised the potential impact on the rapidly evolving Covid-19 situation. Yet I still got caught out. Flour, yeast, toilet rolls, pasta, tinned tomatoes, tinned soup, eggs, baby food and other baking ingredients, rapidly disappeared off the shelves, and stayed off for many weeks. Some shelves even today are still short and choice still limited.

Our weekly food bill has risen by as much as 50% depending on what we are buying. It is not just the odd 1p or 2p going onto food but 10p, 20p, 50p or even £1.

I am still adding to my 'under the stairs' pantry with long life goods. I have two boxes getting filled under the bed. Being near the end of toilet and kitchen rolls, we have now bought more. We don't need to buy too many cleaning products as we make our own for the most part. I need to check I have the basics for those, if not, I will get them in. 

Meat and fish prices are certainly rising and I still need to get things in. I read last night and it is something that had never occured to me is this. Frozen fruit and vegetables take up vital room in the freezer that could be saved by dehydrating them. Did you know that? No, me neither. 

Apparently you tip the frozen goods into a single layer on each shelf of your dehydrator. Set the temperature to 125F and dry for 5 - 6 hours, or in some cases depending on what food you are drying, up to 14 hours. Once dry, leave to cool and put into an airtight jar or mylar bags. If you need them for curries, stews, soups, chilli, spag bol etc, you tip them in at the start of your simmering process. 

Eating them with other dishes requires them to be soaked. I gather they aren't quite the same but still very good. Dehydrated sweetcorn and some other items, such as tomatoes, can be eaten dry as a crunchy snack. Check it out, there are loads of hints and tips online. It would certainly free up freezer space for other things wouldn't it?


10 comments:

  1. I am conscious of the rise in food prices too. And also of so many people losing their jobs. I've spent the morning reorganising my food cupboard. I feel really challenged that I need to put some of my plentiful store into our food bank collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do donate to the food bank but get annoyed a bit when the donation boxes are overflowing, and even more overflowing the following week, despite a quick call to let them know.

      Delete
    2. DC don't forget that many charitable organizations like food banks have also lost volunteers due to Covid. I find many things are not operating at optimal levels these days. Barb

      Delete
    3. I understand and appreciate that but that particular complaint occurred many times before Covid 19. Just a reminder as well that if we go online to the food bank site for our individual areas, they tell us what they need rather than us just buying willy nilly.

      Delete
  2. I asked for a dehydrator for my birthday in April and have used it at least weekly - I love it! If I buy fruit and it starts to spoil I dehydrate it, I dehydrated strawberries through the summer for smoothies and have just dehydrated a load of chillies that were given to me. I dry spinach to add to veggie curries - the list is endless! And all the dried food looks so pretty in their jars on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi DC, have been drying especially mixed veg in the dehydrator for a while. Also been taking advantage of reductions in the veg and fruit department to do the same. Kale and other leaves can be dried as well and kept whole or ground into a powder and then a little added to soups or stews as well. Locally in Peterborough we are still not quite back up to supplies on the shelves as we were before the start of the pandemic and there have been restrictions on tinned stuff in particular with prices going up quite a bit. I have been adding a few bits and bobs when I have been able to but a little extra is better than nothing. I have also been bottling/canning pears, apples and plums (amongst other items) as they also keep well on a shelf rather than in the freezer - although I do have strawberries in the freezer. We are not out of the woods yet. When you look at the history of the Spanish flu killing people, and then us having flu on the list of conditions ever since even if of a different strain it may well be that Covid pans on like the Spanish flu has. All we can do is be sensible and keep safe wherever we are. However, we are having issues locally with people getting too close - especially youngsters who become verbally abusive if tackled about not wearing masks, and pushing in front of people in a queue. This whole situation has been minimalised so as not to create panic in the long term which has led to greater panic overall. My partner is very high risk so I tend to be the one that goes out if necessary. Just take care and keep safe at the end of the day we can only do what we can with what we have. Take care Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit inside supermarkets people are not distancing so much. Luckily, we go very early and for the most part, are okay. I will still growl at people if they get to close.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh, love the idea of dehydrating frozen fruit.

    I have been adding a few extras to the grocery cart whenever I shop. I still seeing some shortages as far as baking supplies go, and have been picking up yeast (putting it in the freezer), flour, salt, soda, baking powder and such to add to my stores. I am not too sure what the future will bring so I am stocking up. If lock down happens again I want to be prepared.

    I was going to freeze the bell peppers, but I think I will dehydrate them instead.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven’t tried any yet but will do very soon. I was surprised that baking soda disappeared.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.