Monday 23 April 2012

Using up leftovers from 2009 and 2010!

Firstly, welcome to my new followers Jellie and Kim.

Yesterday saw me digging around in the bottom of my frozen fruit draw. I came across some gooseberries from 2009, maybe 1/2 lb or so. Doing the same in my preserve cupboard, I found some 2010 Blackcurrant jam.

Wondering what I could make as I didn't have any margarine, butter or eggs, the fridge held the answer - reduced fat suet. That's it, a jam and fruit roly poly!

I weighed 4 oz S.R. Flour, 2 oz Suet and put them in a bowl with a tablespoon sugar.

 
I added enough water (just a few tablespoons) to bring it together and rolled it out around 8” - 10” or so, and lifted it carefully onto a silicone baking sheet.

A layer of the blackcurrant jam was put on the pastry, leaving the edges clear for sealing.


Then 3/4 of the jam was covered with the cooked, mashed and well strained gooseberries.


The outer margin was dampened with water and the whole thing rolled up, and lifted onto a baking tray.


It was cooked at 190 Celsius for 30 minutes, removed from the sheet (as it had just started to boil over the edges of the silicon sheet and I wanted to get the baking tray into soak).


We had half of it with a little cream (after having for our main a pork curry and rice) and tonight, we'll finish it off with a little custard after some mushroom risotto!

To cheer ourselves up during Sunday's appalling wet weather, I nipped out in-between showers to pick some flowers.






8 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call creative! It looks wonderful and just crying out for custard mmm...... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you are using up your produce. The roly poly looks very homely and just what the doctor ordered on a dull and yuksome day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love roly poly, we used to have jam as a child and my dad often made spotted dick or should I say dog? What reminiscences this has brought back. Yours looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my kind of pud - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bare kitchen cupboards and left overs are often the mother of culinary inventions.
    Well done. It looks delicious! And the flowers are very nice, too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very creative way to use up the left overs :) And it looks yummy!!
    The bouquet of flowers is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea- I have some old frozen fruit I should use up.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.