Monday 3 June 2019

Ah well...

It is a sad fact of life, that you can’t save everything.

As Ruby entered our driveway, she lunged to one side, luckily, still on her lead. A baby sparrow. It was saved that time.

Later on, as she went out to the loo, she missed seeing it huddling behind her water bowl. I grabbed her once she had finished and put her inside. As I bent down to pick it up to put it somewhere safe, it flew and landed on the drain then fell in.

Our neighbour was down his drive so I asked him to get it out, which he did quickly. I rushed inside with it to dry it off but it’s eyes were already closing and after two little gasps, it died.

I checked it over and it’s breastbone was formed weirdly and protruding outside its feathers. Guess it’s mother had probably abandoned it as it was very weak before it fell in the drain.

14 comments:

  1. Awwww, that's so sad. It was good of you to try and save it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying but rarely succeed. Probably been abandoned for a while before I notice them.

      Delete
  2. What a shame for the poor little thing, but that's life and nature, only the strongest survive. Our Betty has a bit of a fascination with birds, twice she's brought dead birds in. I don't think she's caught them (the bodies were cold and stiff) but she does seem to be drawn to them, bit like a cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what Ruby would have done with it, probably eaten it.

      Delete
  3. I've seen so many baby bird casualties so far this year. Such a shame. I was blaming the visiting cats for some of them - until I saw for myself that it was in fact the magpies who were raiding the blackbird nests and killing/eating the chicks! I'll not even go into the sparrowhawk's daily visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we don’t have many of those around.

      Delete
  4. The greyhounds don't seem to bother with birds. I think they know that they generally fly out of reach. Lovely you tried to save it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby hasn’t yet seen or had access to baby birds.

      Delete
  5. Poor little thing but that's nature. It can be cruel at times.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, poor baby. At least you tried.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always like to try with baby birds.

      Delete
  7. Such a shame but that is nature unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.