Saturday 22 June 2019

Ticks

Damn things, I hate them. I have been trialing a more natural approach to ticks.

Firstly, Brewer’s Yeast. The idea is it creates a smell on the skin that ticks dislike. So far, not so bad, just two ticks in the first week found but we have just removed another two ticks, the first day of week two in the trial. She doesn’t seem to detect it in her food and it gives her a lot of vitamins and essential minerals. For that reason alone, we will stick with it.

Secondly, rose geranium essential oil, a natural insecticide. 10 drops diluted in 100 drops of almond oil. Shaken before use, one drop is placed between my forefinger and thumb. It is then rubbed between her shoulder blades and base of tail, first thing in the morning. We have begun to do this, now we are in week two. Time will tell. The smell of this is amazing.

I think the warm summer, autumn and winter of last year, means the critters have been breeding prolifically. Friends I know who are using chemical based tick pills etc, are also reporting ticks on their cats and dogs.

2 comments:

  1. What a nuisance they are. Thankfully none as yet have been detected on Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this year is terrible for them compared to last year. Hope Mickey stays free.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.