Tuesday 5 January 2021

This too will pass - but oh so slowly...

A quick picture of the jigsaw at the end of day 3:


I think anyone who dreams that this year (certainly the first 6 months), will be better than the last, probably needs to revise their thinking. It is a very sad and solemn fact that the maths just don't support it. I did hope that this would be the case, but have now revised my thinking in an attempt to cope with it all.

In May, we have a holiday carried over from last year, I hope we can take it but don't see how unless Covid goes away or we are all protected. 

Government maths has decided that 30m vulnerable people need to be vaccinated, at 2 million per week. That will take 15 weeks. If it were just one dose, that would be that and they would be able to roll out vaccinations into the next group of people. DB falls into the first of the four target groups, but not me.

However, before 12 weeks, hopefully sooner, the first lot who were vaccinated will need to have completed their second doses. You can't just start that process at 12 weeks as it would mean, they wouldn't get their second vaccination for up to another 15 weeks. By then, their first dose will be useless.

This is the planned rollout of vaccinations (page 8 of 25 pages) from the government website, see here

1. Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers   

2. All those 80 years of age and over Frontline health and social care workers 

3. All those 75 years of age and over 

4. All those 70 years of age and over, clinically extremely vulnerable individuals* 

5. All those 65 years of age and over   

6. All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality 

7. All those 60 years of age and over  

8. All those 55 years of age and over 

9. All those 50 years of age and over* Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals are described here. This advice on vaccination does not include pregnant women and those under the age of 16years (see above)

I can't tell from reading the paper, whether these 9 categories above are all of the so called 30m vulnerable in total or not.

So really, the first few months of the year will be taken up with these vaccinations. Then the rest have to follow. Figures on who will take up this offer vary but seem to be between 48% and 56%. 

Some won't be vaccinated as they don't agree with them, some are worried that it contains a microchip and some still think the whole thing is a hoax!

If only half the population take up vaccination, how are we ever going to get back to leading normal lives?

Nope, nada, no way! I am planning on 2021, certainly the first half of it, being just as bad as 2020. I am not sad or mad about it, it is what it is. I have decided to accept it and get on with things as best as I can and be upbeat as much as possible.

I hope that restrictions lower so we can see our granddaughter. We have accepted that she will be walking before we see her but hey ho!

14 comments:

  1. It's sadly just as I expected it to be, we just have to do as best we can and hope the powers that be are handling it correctly.

    By the time they get to me on the list it will most like be the middle of Summer, but at least now I'm back at the flat and in the right area for access to my doctors surgery when they roll out the vaccines.

    Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DS reckons September or October for him. Shops were quiet this morning though we go early.

      Delete
  2. A lovely sunny jigsaw with blue sky - none of that in Suffolk today - raining non stop since early

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Predominantly grey here with just the odd smidge of sunshine. Very cold though.

      Delete
  3. You have a brilliant attitude, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was humming a tune whilst shopping and an elderly chap remarked there wasn’t a lot to sing and dance too. I replied, always have to sing and dance when possible, it’s what gets us all through it.

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately we really just have to make the best of a really bad situation. What else can we do. My daughter asked me if I was available for childcare and we had to have a frank conversation that I am scared, I'm asthmatic it would be goodnight Vienna for me if i get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our walking buddy E also wanted to walk with her, just one of us but we said no. DB is classed as vulnerable. We said we were happy though to have a FaceTime coffee chat. Our numbers here now are 3 times what they were in March.

      Delete
  5. Have to say that I completely agree with your calculations and your outlook. I figure I'll be lucky if I'm called by May and I wouldn't be surprised if it was June. I'm a senior but still work and I can do this from home which is a bonus. I shop during the senior hour and only at shops where they have been really good at following protocols right from the start and I limit all other contact with others.
    I have one friend in my bubble and the only time that I see others is if we meet outdoors for a walk - we keep our distance and I wear a mask at all times outside of my apt. Otherwise it's phone calls, emails and Zoom!
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only meet one on one outdoors now. However, we are requested to stay local so it won’t be happening. Thanks, you too.

      Delete
  6. The hospital where I work is by no means overwhelmed like the ones in the south & south east but at the peak last March there were 94 in patients with Covid. As at today there are 155. I would be in the no.6 criteria for a vaccination but am able to have the first dose next week, for which I'm very thankful. If I could swap my place for my elderly mum or dad I would. Our local Wickes store is in the process of being turned into a vaccination hub.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really think that I probably won't get my shot until at least June or July. Things seem to be moving very slowly here for some reason.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it’s a question of logistics and a major shortage of the glass vials the product goes into. On top of that, once a batch is received, it has to be tested for safety etc.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.